Home > Flex Gotchas > Unknown error generating output application.xml files

Unknown error generating output application.xml files

I’ve been implementing a new project using the TDD methodology using some of the new flash builder tools – specifically the “Execute FlexUnit Tests” method when you right click on a test case class.

When the project matured enough to check into SVN, I noticed a weird error:

Unknown error generating output application.xml files.


The error said I should consult my eclipse .log file, and it had an entry like this one:

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2010-01-13 09:03:05.710
!MESSAGE Error generating application.xml
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Resource is out of sync with the file system: ‘/ArbMvcUnitTests/src/FlexUnitApplication-app.xml’.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileSystemResourceManager.read(FileSystemResourceManager.java:664)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.File.getContents(File.java:288)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.File.getContents(File.java:277)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.air.build.ApolloXMLBuilder.generateXmlFile(ApolloXMLBuilder.java:111)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.air.build.ApolloXMLBuilder.build(ApolloXMLBuilder.java:77)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.air.build.ApolloXMLIncrementalBuilder.build(ApolloXMLIncrementalBuilder.java:74)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:627)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:170)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:201)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:253)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:256)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:218)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:360)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project$1.run(Project.java:523)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1800)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1782)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.internalBuild(Project.java:502)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.build(Project.java:94)
at org.eclipse.debug.core.model.LaunchConfigurationDelegate$1.run(LaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:423)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1800)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1782)
at org.eclipse.debug.core.model.LaunchConfigurationDelegate.buildProjects(LaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:430)
at org.eclipse.debug.core.model.LaunchConfigurationDelegate.buildForLaunch(LaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:126)
at com.adobe.flexide.launching.AbstractFlexLaunchDelegate.buildForLaunch(AbstractFlexLaunchDelegate.java:897)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:821)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:703)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:866)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$8.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1069)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 4 274 2010-01-13 09:03:05.711
!MESSAGE Resource is out of sync with the file system: ‘/ArbMvcUnitTests/src/FlexUnitApplication-app.xml’.

I first went to the adobe pre-release site and found nothing, so I asked Google and it led me here.

While good to know, it didn’t help my problem. After fiddling around with settings and removing the file, I decided to post a bug and try the prerelease forums. They suggested I switch work spaces since they couldn’t reproduce the problem, which led me to believe that my metadata had somehow gotten jacked up.

Sort of… Apparently eclipse has a problem with generated files that SVN has tagged and can’t handle it appropriately. The solution is to do a propset svn:ignore on the transient files in stead of tagging them with SVN and magically no more compile error occurs… at least so far…

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: